Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Pithon

101 Pithon

101 Pithon, The James Clooney Landmark House

"The James Clooney House" owned by Nancy DraughnThe James Clooney House is a two-storey wood frame structure built by John C. McWilliams for Emma and James Clooney in 1913. 

A similar house was built about that time by Mr. Clooney’s brother around the corner at 112 Grove Street.  It is thought that the brothers were in the shipping business and ordered plans for the houses from Sears and Roebuck & Company.

The house is made of cypress.  The attic has four hip roof shingle dormers.  Front and side porches feature round Tuscan columns with federal-style balustrades.   Other exterior features include French doors, saw-tooth dentil work and craftsman-type windows.

Inside features include oak floors with a heart of pine front stairwell and three fireplaces.  Unusual shaped interior columns separate the foyer and living room as well as the living and dining rooms.  The ceiling of the foyer and living room is recessed diagonally slatted oak with beams.  The living room has four of the original hanging light fixtures in the corners.  A stairwell leads to a third floor, which is currently used as an attic.

In 1968, exterior modifications included the addition of a den at the rear, a master bedroom upstairs and a kitchen and breakfast room converted from the original downstairs screened porch.  

Read more...