Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

The Landmark

The Calcasieu Parish Historical Preservation Society's prestigious Landmark Award is a decorative wooden plaque that is usually attached to the front of a structure. 
 
This award is given in recognition of homeowners who have restored a historic structure as near as possible to its original look.
 
Among the architectural styles often seen in this area are Queen Anne revival, Eastlake, Colonial revival, bungalow and 20th Century eclectic.

District Maps & Guidelines

2011

905 Kirby, Tammy and Billy Edwards

The George Samuel Kreeger House, c. 1905 was awarded a Landmark Plaque to the current owners, Tammy and Billy Edwards, at the 2011 annual CHPS meeting held on Jan 18th, 2012

Front of 905 KirbyThe three story, three bed room, 2.5 bath American Foursquare is believed to have been built in 1905 for St. Patrick Hospital’s first Anesthesiologist, Dr. George Samuel Kreeger. It is thought to be the last home in Lake Charles to have gas lighting, four of the original gas lights remain and were converted to electric chandeliers.

There are hardwood floors throughout the house and the windows are original.

Read more...

903 Broad, Samantha and Randy LeJeune

The Chester Brown House, 903 Broad Street c. 1904, owned by Samantha and Randy LeJeune, was awarded a Landmark plaque during the 2011 annual meeting of the Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society held on Jan 18, 2012.

Front of 903 BroadThe research for this house is fascinating. The Great Fire of 1910 has made it very difficult to look back for early Lake Charles history by the destruction of the Court House and its records. Levingston Land and Title has records dating back to late 1800’s that give clues regarding property sales, changes of ownership, and names of persons paying taxes that can be researched at the Clerk of Court’s office.

Read more...

112 Grove Street, Mike Clooney

The Thomas J. Clooney House, c. 1913, was awarded the coveted Landmark plaque during the 2011 annual meeting of the Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society held Jan 18th, 2012. Mike Clooney, the third generation owner, received the plaque.

Front of 112 Grove Street

There is only one home over 50 years old in Margaret Place still owned by the original family!

Thomas J. Clooney was one of the first to purchase a lot and build in Margaret Place, a new subdivision in 1912.

This very fine bungalow home was built in 1913 with labor from the Clooney Construction and Towing Company. 

Clooney bought the adjacent lot to the West a few years later.

Read more...