Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

The Landmark

The Calcasieu Parish Historical Preservation Society's prestigious Landmark Award is a decorative wooden plaque that is usually attached to the front of a structure. 
 
This award is given in recognition of homeowners who have restored a historic structure as near as possible to its original look.
 
Among the architectural styles often seen in this area are Queen Anne revival, Eastlake, Colonial revival, bungalow and 20th Century eclectic.

The Giovanni House, c.1905

landmarks giovanni   landmarks giovanni2
   
  landmarks giovanni millers
  Left to right: Gaye Giovanni McDonald, Maureen and C.A. Miller pose with the Landmark Plaque
presented during the annual meeting of the Calcasieu Historial Preservation Society.
 
DESIGN FEARTURES AND STYLE, 1536 Foster Street by Maureen Miller, Owner
 
The country house, with full length Veranda overlooking  massive live Oak tree has it roots in rural French Colonial architecture.  This style was present in Louisiana throughout the development period of Southern Plantation architecture, and along with Georgian, West Indies, Eclectic and classical Greek Revival were the architectural choices of a growing and prosperous South.

Read more...

The Ramsey-Dees-Alexander House c. 1894

landmark ramseydeesalexander2   landmark ramseydeesalexander1
   
  landmark ramseydeesalexander alexanderphoto
  Left to right: Glenn and Debbie Alexander, Ann Caston

William T. Ramsey, of the Bradley-Ramsey Lumber Company, built this lovely southern beauty for Nathaniel and Susan Pope in 1894. Mr. Pope was an official with the Longbell Lumber Company, so wood was used extensively in the construction and adornment of the home.

Read more...

The Collette House c. 1910

landmarkcollettehousephoto   landmark collettehouse2 photo  
    
Theresa Schmidt receives the Landmark Plaque for her house from CHPS Board Member Ann Caston  
 
In 1860, a parcel of land where the Collette house now sits, was purchased from the US Government for $1389.25 (even though it was only appraised for $100). This parcel was later subdivided into lots, one of which was purchased by Joseph and Ida King Collette. The Collettes operated the Dunn Collette Lumber Company in Westlake.

Read more...