Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

District Maps & Guidelines

Historic Areas and Sites in Calcasieu Parish

Lyons - Mazilly House, 301 Hall Street in DeQuincy

The Lyons - Mazilly House at 301 Hall Street was built in 1906 on a parcel of land purchased from Edgewood Land and Logging Company, which was between Velmer Street and Yoakum Avenue (north and south) and Division Street and Perkins Street (east and west). Dr. George Lyons who built the house was one of the first doctors in Lyons Mazilly HouseDeQuincy.

The original house had six rooms and is of the Queen Anne - Eastlake style. It has a large porch, which surrounds the front and north sides of the house with six turned posts supporting the roof. The original rooms all had 12' ceilings.

Mrs. Lyons passed away in 1950 and Dr. Lyons sold the property shortly thereafter. It was subsequently owned by several individuals and was vacant for many years. The house deteriorated, became home to hundreds of pigeons, and declined to a deplorable condition.

In 1973 the current owners acquired the property. During the restoration, which lasted about a year, a stairway was added in the living room, and two large rooms and a bath were added in the prior attic space. The music room at the front of the house has a large bay window, which accommodates a parlor grand piano. A large fireplace with a white marble mantel was added in the music room.

The front hall entrance door, which is original to the house, has a floral design etched in a glass panel. Originally there were large pocket doors and French doors with gingerbread trim above that separated the music room and living room. During the restoration, the French doors were moved to the dining room and kitchen and the gingerbread ornamentation now separates the kitchen and breakfast room. A butler pantry connects the kitchen and dining room.

In later renovations a library was added where a second stairway serves the rear of the house, and gingerbread trim from the front hall was used in the balcony railing above the library. A large family room and a screened porch have been added and overlook the rear lawn and pool. An additional stairway has been constructed to provide access from the second floor sitting room to the lower garage.

The house, which now has fifteen rooms and four fireplaces, is now home to Dottie and Ronald Mazilly and their daughter Julie.

Welcome to the 1923 Kansas City Southern Railroad Depot & The Dequincy Railroad Museum

 

 

WELCOME TO THE 1923 KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN

RAILROAD DEPOT

&

THE DEQUINCY RAILROAD MUSEUM

The Kansas City Southern Railroad Depot, built in 1923, is our city's most prominent and recognizable historic building and is located in the DeQuincy Historic District.  Its architectural style is Mission Revival and the depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  There are two passenger waiting rooms, a central agent/ticket office, a baggage room, and an open veranda on the bottom floor.  The upstairs rooms were originally used as offices for dispatchers and railroad company officials.

The DeQuincy Railroad Museum was founded in 1974 and occupies the entire building. The museum's mission is to acquire, preserve, and display railroad artifacts of a bygone era and to present a visual history of the role of the railroad industry in DeQuincy's founding as well as its role in the development of the region and state. Of the thousands of railroad artifacts displayed in the museum, most have been donated by area residents, the railroad industry, and visitors. Throughout the year, our larger waiting room is used by local nonprofit organizations for meetings and events and is also available for rent for private functions. On the museum grounds you will find a 1913 steam locomotive, two vintage cabooses, and a 1945 Pullman passenger coach.  An outdoor stage, a covered picnic area, playground equipment, and restrooms are conveniently located here. The museum grounds come alive with activity during the Louisiana Railroad Days Festival which is held during the second weekend of April each year.

We are a nonprofit group and do not charge admission; therefore, we are totally dependent upon our gift shop, rental fees, and visitor contributions to operate the museum.  Without the support of our mayor and city council, and our visitors, we could not continue to operate.

 

WE GREATLY APPRECIATE DONATIONS FROM OUR VISITORS! Models of little red cabooses are conveniently placed in each of the waiting rooms to accept contributions.

 

 

 

MUSEUM HOURS ARE 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

 

 

DEQUINCY RAILROAD MUSEUM 

400 LAKE CHARLES AVENUE 

DEQUINCY, LOUISIANA 70633 

337-786-2823

MODEL ENGINES COLLECTION AT DEQUINCY RAILROAD MUSEUM

The DeQuincy Railroad Museum Board of Directors is pleased to announce the display of an extensive collection of model steam and diesel engines at the 1923 Kansas City Southern depot which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located in downtown DeQuincy. The invaluable collection was donated to the DeQuincy Railroad Museum in August 2006.

In addition to the permanent display at the museum, there are also items displayed at the DeQuincy City Hall, the DeQuincy branch of the Calcasieu Parish Library, and two local banks, City Savings Bank and Chase Bank.  The items displayed at the banks will alternate and will rotate in the future to Cameron State Bank and Capital One Bank, also in DeQuincy.

Display of Model Engines at the DeQuincy Railroad MuseumThe engines on display are exceptional in their detail and craftsmanship.  Manufactured by Samhongsa Co Ltd,  Row & Co,  Adler,  and Markin,  they are made of high quality brass and contain the standard electric motors associated with toys, but are scale museum-quality models of actual steam and diesel engines.  The scale is referred to as Gauge 1, which is similar to G scale, and runs on G scale track, but each is constructed to the exact specifications of their prototypes. Most of these were produced in the 1970’s and 1980’s and very few Gauge 1’s are produced today because of the level of workmanship and the associated costs of their production making these exceptional examples of the art of model making.  Each of these engines have special wood and brass cases finished like fine furniture and dense foam interiors to protect the models. These models represent some of the largest and most popular trains of the twentieth century. (Blaine Miller)

Beginning with a design concept by former DeQuincy resident Frank F. Douglas of the Douglas Group in Houston, the planning and execution of the display has evolved over several months.  Blaine Miller, Assistant Director of the Imperial Calcasieu Museum, has directed and overseen the technical aspects of the project with the assistance of Gary W. Cooper and Harry Methvin. The display is presented with state-of-the-art museum quality signage and lighting in a large antique wall cabinet donated to the museum several years ago by Candace W. Cooper in memory of her late father, Jake Willrich.  Funding for the project has been provided by the City of DeQuincy.

The collection may be viewed during regular museum hours, Tuesday through Saturday from 9AM to 5PM.  Call 337-786-2823 for more information or to confirm hours.

Gary W. Cooper, President

3.24.08

DeQuincy Railroad Museum and 1923 Kansas City Southern Depot

DEQUINCY RAILROAD MUSEUM
&
1923 KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN DEPOT



Trains on display at the DeQuincy Railroad MuseumThe DeQuincy Railroad Museum is a non-profit corporation established in 1974 whose mission is to acquire, preserve, and display railroad artifacts of a bygone era and to heighten public awareness of the role of the railroad industry in our area as well the region, state, and country.  Housed in the 1923 Kansas City Southern Depot which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the museum has on display a large and varied collection of railroad memorabilia, including a restored 1913 steam locomotive, a 1947 passenger coach and two vintage cabooses.  Also on display are many model trains and an extensive collection of Gauge 1 model steam and diesel engines.

Because DeQuincy has always been a railroad town, railroading plays a major role in our economic, social and civic lives.  Consequently, many citizens of our community and surrounding area are interested in railroading and are collectors of railroad artifacts and memorabilia.  The majority of these railroad buffs are retired railroad families who have generously donated their railroad collections and artifacts to the museum. The museum is housed in the 1923 Kansas City Southern Railroad Depot which has been exquisitely restored to its former grandeur.  The depot is one of the most outstanding examples of the Mission Revival style of architecture in the South. The facility includes meeting rooms for public functions and may be rented for private events as well.  

The depot and museum serve as our town’s only public link with our past and enriches the lives of our area citizens as well as visitors from far and wide.  We encourage school groups to visit to share our educational material on display.  

Adjacent to the museum, we have a landscaped park and playground equipment that provide a picnic and play area for visitors. It is also the site of the annual Louisiana Exhibit at the Dequincy Railroad MuseumRailroad Days Festival which is held on the second weekend in April.

The depot and museum are located at 400 Lake Charles Avenue in the historic downtown area. 

Admission is free but donations are welcomed. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9 AM to 5 PM. 

For further information, read this informational welcome message, or to confirm hours please call 337-786-2823.

DeQuincy Railroad Museum
Gary W. Cooper, President
400 Lake Charles Avenue
DeQuincy, Louisiana 70633