The Calcasieu Parish Historical Preservation Society's prestigious Landmark Award is a decorative wooden plaque that is usually attached to the front of a structure.
This award is given in recognition of homeowners who have restored a historic structure as near as possible to its original look.
Among the architectural styles often seen in this area are Queen Anne revival, Eastlake, Colonial revival, bungalow and 20th Century eclectic.
The Collette House c. 1910
|Theresa Schmidt receives the Landmark Plaque for her house from CHPS Board Member Ann Caston|
In 1860, a parcel of land where the Collette house now sits, was purchased from the US Government for $1389.25 (even though it was only appraised for $100). This parcel was later subdivided into lots, one of which was purchased by Joseph and Ida King Collette. The Collettes operated the Dunn Collette Lumber Company in Westlake. In 1907, due to an early depression, the company went under, but the family managed to save enough lumber to build two houses, twin houses to be exact, for sisters Ida Collette (the great-grandmother of CHPS board member Anne Collette) and Edna Dunn.
Ida Collette went to Calcasieu Building and Loan, put up the land as collateral, and borrowed $1200 to build the home you see standing today. The twin residence is located at 814 Clarence Street.
Luck must have been on the side of these two ladies, after all that they had been through, because both houses (while not completed) survived the Great Fire of 1910.
A basic rectangle in shape, the home has a large entry way, 10’-8” ceilings, and a full stairway to the attic and Widow’s Walk. The San Miguel’s purchased the home in 1994, and repainted the exterior, refinished the heart pine wooden floors (which had been covered with carpet), updated the kitchen, and built a mother-in-law/guest house in the back.