Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Articles

112 Grove Street, Mike Clooney

The Thomas J. Clooney House, c. 1913, was awarded the coveted Landmark plaque during the 2011 annual meeting of the Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society held Jan 18th, 2012. Mike Clooney, the third generation owner, received the plaque.

Front of 112 Grove Street

There is only one home over 50 years old in Margaret Place still owned by the original family!

Thomas J. Clooney was one of the first to purchase a lot and build in Margaret Place, a new subdivision in 1912.

This very fine bungalow home was built in 1913 with labor from the Clooney Construction and Towing Company. 

Clooney bought the adjacent lot to the West a few years later.

The home was raised 2-3 feet after the 1915 flood to the elevation it is today.

Family History: John Francis Clooney came to Calcasieu Parish soon after the Civil War by way of Galveston, Texas. His work was in the ship building business constructing wooden schooners. He left Galveston, Texas when yellow fever broke out in 1869 in search of the yellow pine forest known to be at Calcasieu Pass.

John Francis found a job at the Kaough Shipyard south of what is now Lake Charles along the Calcasieu River. He married Mary Ann Kaough and they moved up to what was known as Lake Charles and built a home and business around where the port of Lake Charles was building wooden schooners and other wooden vessels. To facilitate his ship building business, he dredged out part of the land at a bend in the Calcasieu River to create what is known as Clooney Island today.

Thomas J. Clooney, Sr. was one of six children born to John Francis and Mary Ann (Kaough) Clooney. He was born in 1874 on the family homestead along with his other brothers and sisters. In 1910, he married Helen Fehmer from LaGrange, Texas. They had four children, Thomas, Jr., Delia, Clyde, and Harold.

Thomas J. Clooney, Sr. died in 1949 leaving his wife Helen in the home until her death in 1972. Delia lived in the home her entire life along with her mother. Prior to Delia‚Äôs death in 1993, and with the approval of her son Johnny, she transferred the ownership of the home to Michael F. Clooney, the second child of Thomas J. Clooney, Jr. 

This home has stayed in the Clooney family the entire time with no modifications to the structure from its original construction.